Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said on Sunday that an acting director had been appointed to replace Agus Susanto, and a cadet named Muhammad Rusdi was suspended and handed over to the police for further investigation into the alleged violence that occurred on Feb 2.
“After conducting an internal investigation and meeting, we decided to decommission the director and suspend one cadet to undergo police investigation,” he said in a written statement circulated to journalists here.
Furthermore, the preliminary findings of an internal investigation demonstrated that deviations might have occurred in systems and procedures, which led to the occurrence of the incident, he said.
However, the ministry still awaits the outcome of the police investigation to know the exact causes of the accident, he said.
“Based on the results of internal investigation, we decided to make personnel changes to all lines in the Makassar Aviation Engineering and Safety Academy involved when the incident occurred,” he said.
Budi asserted that the Transportation Human Resources Development Agency (BPSDMP), which is incharge of transportation schools in all regions has strictly implemented rules and SOPs to prevent violence from happening among cadets at campus/school.
The improvement of parenting patterns was carried out, and lecturers, supervisors, and other related elements at campus/school had also kept socializing the rules and SOPs applied to the cadets.
“We always remind the cadets that the culture of violence is not right because even in workplace, the separation of juniors and seniors does not exist. Instead, what really matters is professionalism in learning,” he said.
BPSDMP had prepared concrete steps to improve the standard operating procedures, and to tighten supervision to avoid the recurrence of similar incidents in the future by providing more supervisors and guardians to the ministry’s official schools.
Reporting by Juwita Trisna Rahayu, Eliswan A
Editing by Rahmad Nasution